Did you know that lilies are one of the most common toxins to afflict our feline friends? It’s important to take precautions to keep your cat from harm. Below, your Aurora, CO vet tells you more.
When a cat ingests a dangerous lily, symptoms like loss of appetite, lethargy, excessive drooling, vomiting, and diarrhea may present themselves. Without treatment, a cat may experiences seizures or even death.
While some lilies only cause minor mouth irritation, others cause the serious symptoms described above. These include the Easter, tiger, wood, Japanese Snow, day, and stargazer lilies.
A cat who has ingested a lily should be rushed to the nearest veterinary emergency room. There, activated charcoal may be administered to slow the poison’s absorption, or the stomach may be flushed. Supplemental treatment like oxygen administration, fluid therapy, and other measures may be needed.
Of course, it’s much easier to prevent poisoning in the first place rather than deal with it once it’s occurred. Since lilies are common in bouquets, check through any that you’ve received and remove lilies if necessary. Also check through your garden and landscaping outdoors.
Contact your pet clinic Aurora, CO for more advice on poisonous plants.