Xylitol Poisoning in Your Pet

Xylitol, an artificial sugar substitute used in many candies, gums, and certain baked items, is a dangerous pet poison. Below, learn about the symptoms of and treatment for xylitol poisoning, as well as how to prevent episodes, from your Frisco, TX veterinarian.

Symptoms

Symptoms of xylitol poisoning include lethargy, drooling, diarrhea, vomiting, collapse, and—without treatment—seizures, coma, and even death. It only takes a small amount of the substance to induce a toxic reaction, and symptoms usually manifest within 30 minutes of initial ingestion.

Treating Poisoning

Rush your pet to the local veterinary emergency room if you see or suspect that they’ve ingested a product containing xylitol. The stomach may need to be flushed in order to rid your pet’s system of the toxin. As your animal friend recovers, supportive measures like oxygen supplementation, fluid replacement, and more may be needed.

Prevention

It goes without saying that it’s easier to prevent an episode of xylitol poisoning rather than treat it afterward. Tightly restrict your pet’s access to all sweet treats—this is a simple way to avoid the issue entirely!

Consult your Vet Frisco, TX can tell you more about xylitol and other common pet poisons. Call the office today!