Xylitol and Pets: A Deadly Combination

Xylitol is an artificial sweetener that is used in many candies, gums, and certain baked goods. The substance is fine for human consumption, but it can prove deadly for our animal friends. Learn more here from your North Phoenix, AZ veterinarian.

Symptoms

The symptoms of xylitol poisoning—which usually appear within 30 minutes of ingestion—include weakness, disorientation, vomiting, and diarrhea. Without treatment, a pet may experience seizures, coma, and even death.

Treatment

Rush your pet to your local veterinary emergency room if you see or suspect that they’ve eaten a xylitol product. Your veterinarian may flush the stomach or administer activated charcoal to slow the poison’s absorption. IV fluid therapy, electrolyte replacement, oxygen supplementation, and other supportive treatments may be necessary as your pet recovers.

Preventing Poisoning

Of course, it’s far easier to prevent poisoning in the first place than deal with an episode. Luckily, it’s as simple as restricting your pet’s access to products that contain xylitol—never leave candies, gum, or baked goods out on countertops or tables where pets may be able to reach them. Store them inside closed containers or cabinets instead.

Ask your veterinarians North Phoenix, AZ for more information on xylitol and pets.