Protecting Your Pet From Xylitol

Xylitol is a dangerous pet poison, and you might already have it in your home. It’s an artificial sugar commonly used in gums, candy, toothpaste, and other goods. Here, your Roanoke, VA veterinarian tells you more about xylitol poisoning in pets.

Symptoms

The symptoms of xylitol poisoning can begin to affect a pet in as little as 30 minutes after initial ingestion, and it only takes a few grams of the substance to cause poisoning. Symptoms include lethargy, drooling, vomiting and diarrhea, and—if treatment isn’t given promptly—seizures, coma, and even death.

Treatment

Rush your pet to the emergency room if you suspect or know that they’ve ingested a xylitol-sweetened product. The stomach may need to be flushed, and activated charcoal could be given to slow the poison’s absorption. Pets might need oxygen supplementation, fluid and electrolyte replacement, and other measures to make full recoveries.

Prevention Tips

Luckily, it’s easy to prevent xylitol poisoning. Never leave candy, gum, or sweet treats on countertops or tables where pets could reach. Keep all supply closets and bathroom cabinets shut tightly.

To learn more about xylitol and how it affects pets, call your animal hospital Roanoke, VA  today. We’re here for you!