Chocolate and animals don’t mix—your cat is no exception. Although cats aren’t likely to go out of their way to ingest chocolate, it’s still a big risk! Learn more below from a vet in Mt. Pleasant, SC:
The symptoms of chocolate toxicity in cats include drooling, listlessness, lethargy, vomiting, diarrhea, and—without treatment—collapse, coma, and even death. All types of chocolate (milk, dark, semi-sweet, white, powdered, baking chocolate, etc.) can cause symptoms. That’s because all chocolate contains theobromine and caffeine, the chemicals that cause the reactions.
If you know or suspect that your cat has ingested chocolate, rush them to the nearest veterinary emergency room right away. Your vet may induce vomiting or administer activated charcoal to stop the poison’s absorption in your cat’s system. As Fluffy recovers, supportive measures like oxygen supplementation or fluid therapy might be needed.
Of course, preventing chocolate poisoning is far easier than treating it after the fact. All it takes is restricting your cat’s access to any and all chocolate. Store chocolate and foods that contain it inside cabinets, rather than leaving it out on countertops.
Talk to your Animal Hospital Mt. Pleasant, SC professional for more information.